Thursday, April 18, 2019

Easter Egg Hunt

This was *supposed* to be a post about the town Easter Egg Hunt last Sunday, how much fun we had as a family, how Charlie and Maddie loved searching for eggs, and pictures of their adorable little smiling faces in precious (monogrammed) outfits. Well...one thing parenthood has taught us in the past three years is to let go of of lofty expectations such as that one.

Maddie was sick all weekend so I kind of knew Sunday morning when we woke up that she likely would not be going to the egg hunt. She ended up taking a marathon nap since she wasn't feeling well, so Charlie and I left while Tim stayed at home with the sleeping princess.

The weather was super iffy and sprinkling on and off, so instead of a cute Spring outfit, Charlie wore a raincoat and boots.

As soon as we got to the park in the center of town, I could tell Charlie was verrrrry skeptical about the alleged egg hunt. I was trying to explain everything and make it sound super positive and fun, but he was not buying it.

Scoping out the scene...very skeptical

As we were walking towards the hunt area, I spotted the Easter Bunny and pointed him out to Charlie. At age three, large costumed characters are usually exciting from afar. Not this bunny. From the second he saw him, I could tell Char was freaked out. We backed off and went in the other direction where the kids were lining up for the hunt.

Charlie clung to me and clearly was not liking the bustling, crowded park. As the hunt was about to start, I kept talking to him to gauge how he was feeling. He told me he was "feeling a little bit sad and wanted to go home." It broke my mama heart....I felt like such a bad Mom for bringing him someplace so unsettling and so.....un-fun. I truly thought he would have a blast.

 "I don't think I like this."

Not feelin' it

"OK....All done. Let's go home!"


Total. Mom. Fail.

So.....lesson learned. The Snee Kiddos are likely more cut out for a quiet backyard egg hunt vs the busy town hunt. Maybe egg hunts aren't our thing...and that is okay.

Charlie grabbed a few eggs and we peaced-out ASAP. When we got home, Maddie marveled at Charlie's eggs as if he was the coolest big kid in the world bringing home a giant trophy. He suddenly became proud showing them off and sweetly shared them with her as they had fun opening them up together. Watching them reunite, and find comfort in one another really was so sweet. They are truly the best of friends and I hope they always share that special sibling bond.

Her egg from big brother is her most prized possession (kept in her special purse)



1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet story. I think the EB is freakier than SC! Charlie snarfed up some egg and brought them home to sleeping beauty. Doesn’t get any better ❤️ Happy Easter to your sweet babies!!! 🐥🐰❤️

    ReplyDelete