Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Consignment Shopping for Kids

     So, its no secret I LOVE to shop. I have loved the 'thrill of the hunt' my whole life. Dressing my kiddos is a whole new level of fun for me and I loooooove shopping for them and dressing them up. As Charlie is getting older, he likes to pick out his own clothes more and more, but Madeline still loves me to fill her closet with pretties and often has several 'wardrobe changes' per day (my kind of gal). 

     Part of what I enjoy most about shopping for kids' clothing is finding serious deals, and when it comes to kids' clothing, there seriously are some MAJOR deals to be had. I started shopping at kids' consignment sales and shops a few years back and it's been by far the best way to get gorgeous clothing for a fraction of the price.


Once Upon a Child

     A Once Upon a Child consignment shop opened in my area last year and y'all...... it. is. AWESOME. They carry great brands and while their everyday prices are FANTASTIC, the real deals to be had are during their special events. This past weekend, they had a grab bag event where you bring your own bag, fill it with as much clearance merchandise as it can hold, and they take 90% off the entire bag. Yes, NINETY. 
     This entire pile of clothing, all high end brands like Matilda Jane, Hanna Andersson, Hannah Kate,  Splendid, and more (some NWT!) was $7. Total.  (No, you did not read that wrong. Seven bucks.)

My haul from the grab bag sale this past weekend - I can't wait to see my princess in all of her new outfits!

     Be sure to sign up for your local shops' (whether it be OUAC store or another chain or standalone shop) event notification emails because some of these events, like the grab bag one I went to this weekend, are incredible. I am looking forward to grabbing a girlfriend and heading to this upcoming dress event to grab some dresses for my mini:

Staying on top of the events calendar is key for saving a TON


Just Between Friends

    The Just Between Friends consignment sales are huge long-weekend warehouse-style sales that happen seasonally all over the country. My local ones are twice yearly- once in the spring and once in the fall. They have tons and tons of stuff to pick from in a huge range of sizes plus lots of toys, too. My strategy for these is that I go on the last day only, right when they open. On the last day, everything is an additional 50% off, making most of the items crazy affordable. I've gotten brand new Gap clothes for Charlie and a brand-new-with-tags designer smocked dress for Miss Maddie for under a dollar a piece. 
     If you volunteer to work the sale, you also get special early access. I have never done this but some people swear by this strategy, too, especially if they are looking for particular items/brands.


Local Church / School Sales

    If you keep your eyes on your local "Mom groups" on Facebook, you'll often see information for upcoming consignment sales held at churches and schools. Usually a portion of the proceeds benefits the church/school, which is an awesome way to not only score some deals, but also help support local organizations in your own community. 


Consignment Instagram Accounts

    In true millenial-Mom style, some of the best consignment sellers are actually on the 'gram! My favorite of them all is Fancy Sprouts Kids' Consignment (Insta account: @fancysproutsrva); Megan does an awesome job maintaining this account and offers great, barely-used merchandise. I got Charlie some Philadelphia Eagles apparel that he wears basically every other day from her shop. Instagram accounts like hers are definitely another super easy way to find stylish bargains!


Have you shopped consignment for your kids before?? What are some of your best finds? I'd love to hear all about your experiences! ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment