Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Flying with Kids

I thought air travel with young kids might be a fun topic to write about because a) I am fresh off a solo flight with two toddlers and b) hopefully some of my ideas (and mistakes) could help out my pals next time y'all fly with your minis. And, truthfully, I would MUCH rather fly with my kids than take a car ride over one hour.

Maddie's first flight- Brother was SO excited to show her the ropes

Charlie holding "his" sweet baby on the airplane

We have flown a few times a year with kiddos in tow and have experienced everything from perfect flights to complete disaster flights and everything in between. Charlie's first flight was at 8 weeks old and Maddie was a few months old on hers, so we definitely subscribe to the "start 'em young" mindset. Honestly, the younger they were the easier it was, too! Tiny babies tended to eat and sleep. Now, toddlers are a different story....

People-watching from their perch in the TSA line

Tips from Experience:
1. Snacks, Snacks, and MORE Snacks! Chewing on some fun snacks, sucking on a lollipop, or sucking on a sippy cup usually helps their ears pop. When I was nursing, I would always nurse on the way up and then again on the descent to help their ears, too.

Have sippy cup; Will travel

2. Book a nonstop flight whenever possible. It is worth it 100000% to avoid a layover and an extra takeoff/landing.

3. Have some 'unexpected' surprise treats to whip out once the kids get restless- a cake pop from Starbucks, a new book, and some dollar store junk are always hits with Charlie and Maddie.

Well this is FUN!

4. This one is totally personal preference- but when I am travelling with kids I actually like to board last. It's less time they are confined to the seat so that (hopefully) once we get onboard, the flight departs soon thereafter. Just don't wander away from the gate and risk missing the doors closing.....

5. When we board, I usually have a couple of wet wipes ready to go and we wipe down the seats, trays, and any touchable surfaces before putting the kids in the seats. In theory, I hope it contributes to less exposure to airplane germs since kiddos tend to touch everything.

And this is why everything gets wiped down- these two are NOSY travelers

6. While the bulkhead seats seem super tempting for the extra space- it is honestly too tempting for young kids-  mine just want to get down and play in the open space. Since I don't want them roaming and playing on the dirty floor, those seats are typically not ones I'd pick unless travelling sans kiddos.

7. Wash everyone's hands with soap and water immediately after getting off the plane and change the kiddos clothes ASAP. Again, the airplane germs freak me out. Better safe than sorry because sick kids on vacation far away from home sounds miserable for everyone.

8. Have videos and/or games downloaded and ready-to-go for toddler entertainment and as a special treat- this can keep them happy and quiet for a good chunk of the flight.

9. Baby-wearing can be a great way to get a smaller infant through the airport and onto the plane while keeping your hands free. I loved having my tiny babies snuggled up against me while getting through the huge airport.

Checking out airplanes is VERY exciting

10. When I have been super early for a flight, it helped to find an completely empty gate nearby. The toddler could run around a bit, and this nursing mama could even pump a bit (NOT in a nasty bathroom) with no one around- total win!

Nursing mamas know that a quiet, empty pumping area is everything while traveling 


Mistakes from Experience:
1. I booked a super late flight (9:40pm departure) expecting the kiddos to sleep... Never again. They were too excited to sleep. Then Maddie was overtired and had a complete screaming meltdown. Oy- live and learn! Nap time may be a different story but the late evening flight did not work for us.

2. Expecting to be able to change a diaper in the airplane bathroom was a lofty goal- wayyyy too lofty. The changing table was no bigger than a breadbox and it was a nightmare. Charlie screamed his head off and there was barely enough room to maneuver the diaper-change while he was trying to break free from the tiny, gross. changing area. Now I always change a diaper immediately before we get on the plane.

Funny Story:
For Charlie's first flight as a newborn, this first-time mama made about 20 goody bags for everyone sitting around us. They were filled with candy and gum and a note that read:

Hi! I’m Charlie!
This is my very first airplane ride.
I am two months old and am going to visit my Grandma and Grandpa.
My Mommy explained I need to be on my best behavior on the plane
and she is going to help me stay calm.
In case I happen to get a little fussy (I will try my best not to!),
here are some treats to make your flight a little more enjoyable!

Happy Holidays!

They were totally unnecessary but a hit nonetheless. It was a fun way to break and ice and keep the peace with our seatmates.

 First flight with baby! Charlie was a champ

Cutest little travel bug

Curious 8 week old Charlie - he was a dream on his first flight!

Whenever and wherever you may go with your littles, I hope you have safe, meltdown-free travels and make many happy memories!

This sweet guy is seasoned traveler and a joy to fly with

No comments:

Post a Comment