Monday, April 20, 2020

Let's Go for a Walk

   I've always been an avid walker; Ever since I was a teen I have loved to lace up my sneakers and go walk a few miles outside. Being home the past few weeks has given me more time to enjoy long walks around the neighborhood, which is SUCH a blessing. Add in the emerging Spring weather and it's been truly blissful, and dare I say therapeutic, to get outside and walk.

   I am finding the days where I can get in a super long walk (or two) are just better days. I have more patience, I feel less stressed and anxious, and I seem to have more energy and a more positive outlook. My kiddos luckily LOVE long walks and both of them do really well in the stroller so it's been such a nice, peaceful group activity, too.


My favorite walking buddies; these two love a good, long walk

On a nice day, there are tons of walkers out in our neighborhood


   As I've gotten older, I have realized how much exercise, even walking, affects my mood each day. On rainy days, I have even been trying to hop on our basement treadmill for a mile or two because it really does help so much.

   Lately, we have been discovering little "snippets of joy" around our neighborhood emerging more and more during this quarantine (our state has a mandatory 'shelter in place' and is thankfully taking this pandemic very seriously). I love the thoughtfulness of these things people are creating for their neighbors so I thought I would share some.

   One neighbor puts out a 'riddle of the day' on a white board; they always give me a chuckle when we walk by their house:

Why do bicycles fall over?  -Because they're two-tired  (haha)


   Another neighbor painted a beautiful religious display and adds a different 'scripture of the day' each day; it's always so comforting walking by and reading these reminds us there is a higher power watching over us:

They even have a prayer request box- so sweet


   Several houses fill their driveways with chalk art and uplifting and positive messages aimed at the street so people walking, running, and biking can enjoy:

Brighter days ahead, indeed


   Our walks have definitely been helping to keep us all happy (and sane!) lately. Even Ellie seems more chill and relaxed after a good walk. Sometimes while Maddie naps, one of us will take Charlie out for some 'big kid' one-on-one time and let him walk his doggie:

He looks like a mini teenager walking his dog

Ellie is loving this


   Another little highlight of our walks has been this super cute scavenger hunt of my closest girlfriends sent us. Charlie and Maddie both love this and the fact that it's pictures vs just words is perfect for our non-readers ;)   They beg to do this over and over and each time find different/new things. It's been so fun!

My kiddos LOVE this little scavenger hunt- Thanks, Tina!


   Our walks have really been such a bright spot during all of this. Have you been walking more than usual? Is anyone else seeing some cool/inspirational stuff out on your walks? 

XO♥

No comments:

Post a Comment